Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stonehenge and Bath

On Friday 3 March our program took a group trip to Stonehenge and Bath! Because of a UNC alum, we were able to go inside the ropes. This meant we had to arrive at 8am, leaving our flats at 5:30!! It was worth it...

I have absolutely no idea what those rocks were used for, but it certainly does make you wonder. I goofed off with my classmates and took lots of pictures. It was nic to just walk around and take it all in and funny to hear what people thought the purpose of Stonehenge might be. Our guide was great; very enthusiastic and knowledgeale. His guesses were far less farfetched than some of ours. After about an hour, our time was up. I am very gratefuly for our UNC alum because I think that the experience of walking around the stones really made the experience special.

Back on the bus, we decided to head to Bath to round out our day. It was great that we had our own private bus and had the flexiblility to decide where to ask our guide to take us. It was just the ten of us plus our program leader and his wife. Our guide talked a lot about the history of the area and then set us free just outside the Roman Baths.

Bath is BEAUTIFUL. If you ever find yourself in England, definitely make the trip. I understand why so many people vacationed here back in the day and I kind of wish that I were one of them! We only had a short while to spend in town because of our goal return time to London. Me and a few others decided to tour the Roman Baths which took over an hour because there is so much to see and read about. Actually, I don't think I even read it all. I am excited to be returning with my Mom later on in the month to do some further exploring. After grabbing some seriously good fish and chips, it was back to London. All in all, a day well spent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment