Wednesday, March 3, 2010

From cats to fairies: London theatre experience so far

As part of our London Experience course and Shakespeare class, we get the great opportunity to see a lot of theatre. In addition to War Horse, I have seen Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with James Earl Jones, Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream with Dame Judi Dench, and I have more to come!

The shows have all been absolutely FANTASTIC! James Earl Jones made me cry (not just a tear rolling down my face, but seriously cry) during his performance. I didn't like Car on a Hot Tin Roof the two times that I read it before I saw this play. After seeing the performance, I would say that it is one of my favorites. Also in the show were several other big names, including Phylicia Rashad, aka Mrs. Huckstable from the Cosby Show and directed by Debbie Allen.

The Shakespeare that I have seen has also been great. London theatre is amazing! Last night was A Midsummer Night's Dream out in Kingston. We missed our train on the way out there and ended up running to the theater. We made it just in time! Dame Judi Dench is so powerful on stage! I couldn't believe that we were actually in the same room. I felt the same way about James Earl Jones. She played Tatania and was hilarious when she was in love with Bottom. It was very strange to see her act like a fool...which made it all the more entertaining. The actor that played Bottom was fabulous and he had me crying from laughing so hard. London theatre certainly does make me tear up!

Tomorrow we are going to see 'Measure for Measure.' I will be very well aquainted with Shakespeare by the end of my trip! I also just booked tickets to go and see 'The Misanthrope' (Keira Knightley is in the cast) on Monday with a friend. I can't wait!

Next update should be about Paris...get ready! I absolutely fell in love with the place and have much to say and many stories to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment