Friday, March 26, 2010

I love lovely London

The weekend before St. Patrick's day nearly the whole crowd headed off to Ireland for the weekend. Unfortunatly, I was not able to follow because I was sick. However, a weekend in London is not small consolation prize!

On Saturday, I managed to go ramble around the British Museum for a bit and I checked out the Lewis chessmen. Sounds lame, but they are really neat! The set was discovered as part of a hoard of treasures found in Scotland. The set is one of the oldest found! They are a pretty big deal and I had to wait for the crowd to move over so that I could have a look. While at the museum, another student in my program rang me and I went to go meet him and his girlfriend for a walk around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. Starting at Buckingham Palace, I walked over to the park, around the Serpentine, and checked out the Peter Pan statue and the Prince Albert Memorial. After that, it was back to bed for me! The weather was great and it did feel pretty good to get out and walk around. I certainly slept well that night!

Sunday I was feeling a little better and had enought energy to make the journey over to Hampstead Heath, which is at the border of London. I walked around for hours! I kept going in the wrong direction and was pretty lost. It's not hard to get lost in the Heath. The place is unreal! When inside, it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere miles away, not even close to London. My main goal was to find Parliament Hill, also known as Kite Hill. Famour for its view of the city and kite flying, the hill is one of the key features of the park. Ironically, I couldn't find it for the longest time! It is this huge, famous hill and yet I almost had to give up my search. One would think that it should be easy to find! I guess that shows you just how big the Heath is. It was worth the search! I found a bench and just checked out the view for a bit before heading back into central London.

No comments:

Post a Comment