Sunday, March 14, 2010

Au Revoir! - Paris Day 4

On Monday, the weather was back to being perfect. It was like Paris wanted to make it as hard as possible for me to leave. I was up earlier than the rest because I wanted to use up as much of the day as I could. Molly felt the same way, so we made an early start.

For breakfeast I ate a croissant and sipped orangina while looking at the Eiffel Tower from a bench on Pont Neuf. Sounds like a fairy tale doesn't it? What a great start to the day!

The rest of the day was spent wandering. After walking along the banks of the Seine, I went back in to Notre Dame to see the windows with sunlight shining through them. Next up was the Marai neighborhood where I saw Sainte Chapelle and then wandered over to La Bastille and Victor Hugo's old house. We found the best patisserie of my LIFE. We got a snack there and then doubled back later for lunch! The lady there chuckled at us for coming back so soon bu I would bet that happens often. I will most certainly make it back there whenever I get back to Paris!

Next up I headed over to Montmarte to see Moulin Rouge and walk around the area. It's the red light districk, so I definitely felt out of place but it was cool to see such a different part of Paris.

Next (did I mention that it was a full day?!) I went and saw Monet's water lillies at L'Orangerie. Absolutely perfect! I think I would have stayed longer if I wasn't trying to get as much in that day as possible. After being wowed by Monet, it was time to shop. Now, shopping in Paris could be a full time job. It is unreal and I found myself wishing Ginna were there to take it all in with me. I went to Rue Honore where every designer you can think of has one (often 2) stores. I wandered through the area and ended up standing outside the president's house. I noticed that a crowd was gathered, there was extra security, and streets had been closed. The next thing I knew, President Sarkozy is waving to the crowd from his car. Not a bad note to leave Paris! I have a picture of him waving on my camera and Molly got a video. I couldn't believe my good timing...

Sadly, this is the end of my Paris adventure. I am already thinking about my next trip there....

1 comment:

  1. I am so so so jealous that you went to see Monet's lilies. When I was little, I read Linea in Monet's garden so many times I wanted to BE Monet or Linea.

    A little part of me still does.

    ReplyDelete