Sunday, March 14, 2010

Oh la la! - Paris Day 3

Sunday's weather was less than ideal. However, I made the most of it! Though we got off to a frustratingly late start, I managed to have another adventurous day! First, we went inside la cathedrale Notre Dame. Since it was a Sunday, I had the opportunity to walk around the cathedral while mass was being held. While the priests were praying and the organ was playing I got to walk around one of the most famous and beautiful churches in the world! Have I mentioned lately how lucky I feel? I have seen pictures of the stained glass in books, but seeing it in person took the words right out of my mouth.

After lunch, we got on a train to Versailles. What an overwhelming place! It's impossible to imagine that people actually lived there. The fact that I stood where Marie Antoinette once stood was a really difficult concept to grasp. My favorite part was most certainly the Hall of Mirrors. Glass is everywhere with chandeliers hanging every few feet and mirrors lining the left wall, reflecting the beautiful views of the gardens from the windows that line the right wall. THe hall was used for many important occasions, including royal weddings. Versailles is beautiful and I would love to return in the summer to wander through the gardens when it is warmer and greener.

Upon our return to the city, Molly and I got off the train at the Eiffel Tower to catch a boat tour down the Seine at night! All of the lights were beautiful ad the Seine offers a view of Paris that is hard to beat! I wish I had done that cruise every night. I am glad that the weather cooperated!

No comments:

Post a Comment