Saturday, March 6, 2010

La Vie en Rose - Paris day 1

On the morning of Friday the 26th of February, I saw Paris for the first time! After settling into our Hostel and grabbing a sandwich, it was on le metro and off to see some sites!! Our stop was at the Lovre and we walked from there all the way down through L'Arc de Triomphe Carousel, les Jardins Tulieries, La Place de la Concorde, les Champs-Elysees, and L'Arc de Triomphe! Yes, it is as long of a walk as it sounds, but totally worth the sore feet! I remember thinkng over and over again that I wished that I lived in Paris. I TRULY hope to spend much more time here throughout my life. The sooner the better (don't worry Mom and Dad, I will be coming home in April).

Once we reached l'Arc de Triomphe, some of us decidd to climb up to the top and take in the view of the city. Walky up, on, and around a hugely famous monument that was commissioned by Napoleon Bonaparte in the middle of Paris...I constantly feel that I must be the luckiest girl alive.

Next, it was all the way back up Champs-Elysee to go explore the Louvre. On Fridays after 18:30, it is free for people under 26 years old to enter until the museum closes at 22:00. The Louvre is such an overwhelming place! Before I even walked into the door I was intimidated. The building is bigger than a palace and the entrance is through the famous pyramids in the middle of the square (think Da Vinci code!). Inside, I walked through the Greek, Roman, and Etruscan sculptures and saw Venus de Milo! Next, I headed to the Italian painters and saw da Vinci's Mona Lisa. I've seen so much of what I have studied or read about that I can hardly believe it. So many people told me that I would be underwhelmed by the Mona Lisa, but I was astonished by it. After talking to Momi and trying to draw, I know how hard mouths are and da Vinci blew me away!

At 22:00 I was dead on my feet and headed back to the hostel where I slept like a rock and rested up for another long and adventurous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment